Zip Facts about Tuvalu:
- The Tuvalu Islands were formerly the Ellice Islands (part of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands) after the English politician Edward Ellice. The Polynesians of the Ellice Islands voted to separate from the Micronesians of the Gilbert Islands in 1974
- Tuvalu, part of Polynesia, is one of the smallest countries in the world, consisting of nine low-lying atolls
- “Tuvalu” mo te Atua”, their motto meaning Tuvalu for the Almighty, shows the connection of the island inhabitants to the Tuvalu Christian Church
- By selling its .tv domain suffix, Tuvalu was able to afford its membership in the U.N.
- In the stamp scandal of 1916, the postmaster at Funafuti (the capital city) was hoodwinked by the local senior medical officer and stamp collector to produce lesser value rubber stamped surcharges at a time of shortage of the higher value stamps, thus creating rare and valuable postage for the medical officer’s gain
Link to Recipe: https://theworldfrommykitchen.wordpress.com/tuvalu/