I found several versions of this recipe with more thyme, more cloves, with marinated chicken or not, so I decided to make my own version which is hopefully true to the flavors of the dish. I chose to do some slow cooking, you could do more slow cooking and less searing, if you wish, with similar results.
Additions/Omissions: Since I modified several recipes, I don’t have any changes, but I would have removed the cloves before I mixed them in with the tomatoes.
Taste Test: Overall, the dish was very good, I had originally made the dish with more thyme, but adjusted it down to write the recipe.
Zip Facts about Mauritius:
- Mauritius, a large volcanic island surrounded by coral reefs and its smaller islands, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean, is the most densely populated country in Africa, as well as the richest and most developed country
- Originally named “Dina Harobi” from its Arabic discovery, it was changed to its current name by the Dutch after the Prince of Orange, Maurice of Nassau
- Mark Twain enamored by Mauritius expressed it this way: “You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius.”
- Seggae is the fusion music of the folk dance of Mauritius, “sega”, and its background reggae music
- The extinct Dodo is the national bird and was Lewis Carroll’s inspiration for “Alice in Wonderland” in 1865
Link to Recipe: https://theworldfrommykitchen.wordpress.com/mauritius/