There are many things to consider when exploring the world’s cuisine, especially the conversions of ingredient quantities and oven temperatures, as well as the vocabularies of many different languages. Despite my years of French, I still had to look up courgettes (zucchini), but recognized aubergines (eggplant) from a previous recipe.
Additions/Omissions: used eggplant but left out zucchini, would have been wonderful with both; used bay leaf and ground lamb. Once all of the ingredients were cooked, the assembly was quite simple and fun to do.
Taste Test: the moussaka was very good, but I don’t think the bechamel worked out as well as it should have. I would definitely check out other bechamel recipes in the future and adjust for the change. The salad was excellent.
Zip Facts about Cyprus:
- Cyprus is the home of Mount Olympus and the birthplace of Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, who rose from the sea at Petra tou Romiou in Pafo
- Cyprus once belonged to Cleopatra as a gift from Mark Antony
- Perfume most probably originated in Cyprus, alabaster bottles with traces of perfume scented with aromatics such as coriander, rosemary, bay, and lavender were discovered in a large underground cave in Pyrgos
- The Cyprus Mufflon is a wild sheep that roams the mountainsides only in Cyprus
- It is believed that Cyprus produced the oldest wine in the world, Commandaria, a sweet red wine
Link to Recipe: https://theworldfrommykitchen.wordpress.com/cyprus